Global Learning Development Grants
IGE offers two grants of $2000 each on an annual basis to faculty who are interested in developing a faculty-led study abroad program, called Global Learning Programs (GLP) at Western. Please email Director of Education Abroad, Ashley Hollenbeck, to be included on a notification list for when the funding is secured for offering these grants again.
Faculty may apply for this annual grant for the following purposes:
- To fund a site visit for a new Global Learning Program in a country outside the USA. Faculty may use the funds to pay for their own travel expenses or share the funds with a second program leader. The funds must be used to visit a confirmed destination and to plan the logistics for a proposed program. The proposed site visit cannot take place during the GLP. The site visit can take place before a new GLP course has received curricular approval.
- To fund a site visit for an on-going GLP in another country. Faculty may use the funds to pay for their own travel expenses or share the funds with a second program leader. The funds must be used to develop new content and contacts at that site or assess program sustainability at that site.
Deadline: February 15th (for site visits planned for anytime during the subsequent 18 months)
Please address the following criteria in your application:
- Proposed Global Learning Program and course and your potential student audience
- The primary objective of your trip and proposed itinerary
- Your experience in the proposed destination
- Explain how your proposal aims to build off existing networks at WWU and internationally. For example, are there university partners, affiliated providers, or community-based organizations you could engage, or other faculty members working in the area?
- Proposed budget for how the $2000 will be spent
Submit your application in MS Word or PDF format to Ashley Hollenbeck.
The Education Abroad Advisory Committee, comprised of faculty and staff, will review the applications and make a recommendation to the Education Abroad Director, who will inform the successful applicant of the award. Upon completion of a travel grant, participants will be required to provide a post-trip report describing the outcome of the trip and how it relates to future Global Learning Program plans.
If you are awarded the Global Learning Development Grant, IGE will transfer the funds through the Journal Voucher process to the recipient’s home department. The grantee’s Administrative Services Manager should initiate the grantee’s Travel Request form prior to travel and process their Travel Expense form at the conclusion of travel. We encourage the traveler to become familiar with university and state travel policies and procedures before making travel arrangements (See WWU Travel Services)
Please note that the Education Abroad office has an international health insurance policy available to faculty and staff travelers at a low cost.
- T. Abe Lloyd (Environmental Science)
- Joan Hoffman & Seán Dwyer (Spanish)
- Christopher Wise (English)
- Yanara Friedland (Fairhaven College)
- Sarah Zarrow (History)
- Jennifer Green (Elementary Ed.)
- Michael Slouber (Liberal Studies)
- Sophie Kong (Finance & Marketing)
- Christopher Wise (English)
- Paul James (Anthropology)
- Theresa Warburton (English)