The Institute for Global Engagement (IGE) serves Washington State by providing internationally-focused educational experiences that prepare students to be global citizens and by supporting faculty and staff who are engaged inter-culturally. To that end:
- IGE works with academic programs to integrate global perspectives into the curriculum via cross-listings, new offerings, the GUR requirements, and the International Studies minor;
- IGE collaborates with international partners to diversify the campus community and to connect with institutions and individuals in other parts of the world;
- IGE advises international students who contribute new insights, talents, and experiences to the larger Western community;
- IGE endorses faculty efforts to conduct research and to teach in other cultures so that they might integrate those experiences into their professional life at Western;
- IGE advises students who participate in education abroad through faculty-led programs, service-learning or internship opportunities, approved study programs, and exchanges.
- IGE works with campus partners to coordinate and to streamline the mechanisms that make international experiences part of a Western degree.
In an increasingly inter-connected world, the Institute for Global Engagement engages Western’s communities in thinking and acting globally.